“Be mindful.” Conjures up images of a meditating yogi perched on a mountaintop, doesn’t it? But getting centered isn’t just about chanting and windchimes. It’s about acting purposefully and attempting to focus on the here and now instead of fretting about the future or pondering the past. Who couldn’t benefit from some of that?
And speaking of “benefit,” Lenovo has a lot of resources to help you find your focus, which can help you be more productive at work, more present in your relationships, even more passionate about your mountaintop chanting (if that’s your thing). Here are just some of them. Dive into the rest of this website to find more!
Surrender to Sleep
- Real-world tips. Sleep quality has a big impact on nearly every aspect of our lives, from our energy level and alertness to our patience, endurance, and creativity. Which makes it super frustrating to spend a night tossing and turning. It can be especially challenging to get enough sleep when you work in a fast-paced culture like Lenovo’s. Early mornings, late nights, travel, and other demands can really upset those circadian rhythms. Try these tips to improve your sack time at home and on the road:
- Create total darkness when you’re trying to sleep. Try blackout curtains at home, and pack a sleep mask when you travel.
- Lower the room temperature to a cool, comfortable level—about 67 degrees can actually help your body initiate sleep.
- Create consistent background noise with a fan or a white-noise machine. You may even want to find a portable device that can travel with you.
- Shift sleep times. Three days before you’re scheduled to travel, begin shifting your bedtime and wake-up time an hour earlier or later, depending on your direction of travel.
- Think twice about sleep aids. Many over-the-counter and prescription medications have a long half-life, which can leave you feeling groggy the next day.
Stretch, Soothe, and Say Namaste
- Virtual stretch breaks. Take a five-minute break to get up, breathe, and move. It’ll give you energy and focus, plus the added benefits of improved posture, less tension, and more confidence. Every Wednesday at 2 p.m. Eastern Time, 1 p.m. Central Time, and 11 a.m. Pacific Time via Skype. To add to your calendar, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Onsite massage (Chicago). Ease away the tensions of the day with a 15- to 45-minute onsite table massage. It’s a great way to reduce stress, increase circulation, and improve posture and flexibility. A licensed massage therapist is available the first Tuesday of the month and every Thursday. Learn more about rates and how to schedule.
- Yoga and stretching (Santa Clara and Morrisville). Increase your strength, endurance, and flexibility while improving your balance, clarity, and awareness. No experience or sign-up required. Equipment provided. Learn more or email email@example.com.
- Mini-mindfulness sessions. Partake in a 15-minute mindfulness session focused on stress management through a variety of breathing and relaxation techniques.
- Morrisville: The first Wednesday of each month at 3:30 p.m. Eastern Time in the Training Room (Building 6) and the third Wednesday of each month at 3 p.m. Eastern Time in the Power UP Fitness Center (Building 8). Add to calendar.
- All locations: Offered the second Wednesday of each month at 2 p.m. Eastern Time. Add to calendar. Log in. Or participate on demand.
- “Mindfulness Matters” on-demand seminar. Learn how to tune out distractions, elevate your mood, and create higher-quality work. Visit mycigna.com. (If you're covered under a Cigna medical plan and you haven't registered on mycigna.com, a one-time registration is required. Use the Cigna ID on your medical ID card. If you're not covered under the Cigna plan, use employer ID: Lenovo.)
Address Your Stress
- Financial concerns. The more you know, the more you can take charge. Get expert advice on preparing for retirement, saving and investing, protecting yourself from financial scams, and more through the Fidelity Webcast Hub.
- Back-up care. The greatest source of life’s joy can also be the most stressful. Especially when your regular caregiver bails at the last minute. Bright Horizons provides 24/7 back-up, short-term, and emergency child/elder care—at your home or a Bright Horizons facility. You can also find pet sitters and dog walkers for furry, feathered, or scaly family members.
- Stress management. The only thing worse than dealing with stress is not dealing with it. Visit cigna.com/mystressplan to devise a strategy for conquering your stress.
Make a Plan
- Employee Assistance Program. Getting objective advice is a great way to cultivate a calmer mind. The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) offers eight free sessions with an EAP professional—for emotional, financial, legal, and other matters. EAP counselors can also refer you to local therapists. All the Lenovo medical plans cover mental health and substance abuse treatment.
- Health coaching. A healthy mind and a healthy body go hand in hand. All employees and spouses/domestic partners can access health and fitness coaching—in person or virtually—with Lenovo-dedicated health coaches. The Wellness Center will help you create a healthy lifestyle plan, covering areas like nutrition, weight loss, stress management, and tobacco cessation. Call 1-919-237-8900. PowerUp is your partner in developing an exercise plan to help you meet specific goals or just stay fit. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment.
- Financial planning assistance. Get personalized advice by connecting with an expert through the Planning & Guidance Center on NetBenefits. You can also call 1-800-603-4015.